Sunday, December 13, 2015

Reaping What I Sew

This ALWAYS happens! I get so caught up in other stuff that I just don't sit down to write about it on the blog. So, months have passed and there is far too much to catch up on and the year is ending and - well - it is what it is. Nobody cares about what I'm up to anyway, so I'll summarize.

We went to the Disney Aulani Resort and Spa in Hawaii. Aulani is Hawaiian for "awesome". If that is not the direct translation, it is a close second. Getting to Hawaii was on my California bucket list. It is still a long journey, but only half as long from this coast, so we went for it. Enjoyed the people, the resort, the spa, Pearl Harbor, the food, the family time and more.

 We came home, started school and soccer and piano and gymnastics, and then headed right back out for another holiday with that darn mouse on a Disney cruise. From Vancouver to San Diego, it was a smaller boat and a shorter itinerary, but fun was had by all. Personally, I think a cruise is a better way to enjoy the Disney magic than schlepping around the amusement park. I'm sure when the kids get older and well beyond strollers, we will go to the park but for now, the cruise is pretty wonderful. This was our 2nd Disney cruise and I can't imagine going with another cruise line. The hospitality is tremendous, the boat is impeccably maintained and clean, the kids are entertained and we have time each night for date night as the kids enjoy time at their kids club. We extended our vacation with trips to Legoland and SeaWorld (don't judge - we love the animals and support the people educating others about them).

Fall was all about soccer. Good grief do I hope Ben decides he likes art. Soccer mom is not a role I enjoy. But we survived. And my little people were adorable for Halloween, don't you think?

I went to New Orleans for Danielle's bachelorette party. I'm not 24 anymore.

Chris and Tjaarda drove across the country and visited us. That was awesome!

I went to DC for Danielle's wedding. So honored to stand by her side as she marries her prince.
And then it was birthday time!! Two kids, two November birthdays, one huge birthday bash. Can you believe we got 46 kids in our living room? Magic Dan brought down the house. Then sisters and mom came for Thanksgiving. We got booted from our beds once again since we are without a guest room. But it was cozy and dinner was yummy, thank you very much.

And now Hanukkah.
And next up - Christmas. In addition to all of that, I boot camped in the mornings, hosted my sister-in-law twice, organized the preschool book fair, organized other preschool events, and started doing some paid sewing work for a start-up baby carrier company. I told you I was busy. But all of my activities, social and otherwise, are a welcome intrusion on my life. I am busy. I am running from day to day, juggling the "need to get done" with the "would like to get done" and sort of embracing the challenge. I have social engagements that I turn down. I haven't finished a book since my last plane trip. My favorite piano songs are rusty from lack of practice. Last year, this time, I was primarily home, tidying the house or sewing, bemoaning the loss of all things in Virginia. A year later I'm on the move. I'm entertained, and entertaining. I'm still bemoaning the loss of all things Virginia when I have time but fundamentally, I just don't have the time. I am still here. I have made connections. I have traveled. I have gotten involved. I have tried to not just be IN a new place but to be a part of a new place. And it think it worked. We really do reap what we sow. Next year I will blog more, eat less, read more, cry less, dance more, drink less, sew more and fret less. And I will try my best to enjoy San Francisco more and miss DC a little less. Here's to 2016!!

No comments:

Post a Comment